What's new

Spitfire Symphony Orchestra (Professional)

I know what you are saying, and I thought the same when the updates were released. I was thinking that if they were going to reboot SSO, why would they bother. But perhaps the work done was easily translated to both platforms - so why not update ?

It might make a great deal of sense they would develop a migration tool from Kontakt to their own player. But its all speculation. I shall look forward to seeing that happens on Thursday.

What with the Apple event, the release of HOOPUS (hopefully), and now this, it's going to be a a packed week.

My SSD's are trembling with anticipation.......

Would they have gone through the trouble of doing a big update on SSO Kontakt patches just a couple of weeks ago only to turn around and say the library is now in the new player...with improvements?
Hypotheticals? A commitment to support the existing product. I mean, it’s still available for sale for a princely sum.

Also unlikely to be a straight feature parity port from Kontakt to SF player. Because why bother doing that? They’d have to be a restructure of the range and/or new market points for the time invested to make sense.

All guesswork of course. It’s probably Air Kazoos.

Would they have gone through the trouble of doing a big update on SSO Kontakt patches just a couple of weeks ago only to turn around and say the library is now in the new player...with improvements?
Yeah.. I was thinking about this. Could this announcement be something else ?

I know what you are saying, and I thought the same when the updates were released. I was thinking that if they were going to reboot SSO, why would they bother. But perhaps the work done was easily translated to both platforms - so why not update ?
You would do this, I think, if you were no longer planning to update the Kontakt version.

You would do this, I think, if you were no longer planning to update the Kontakt version.
That's a big possibility, and since they seem to be releasing most of their new libraries in their Player, they might just had the time to port the Symphonic Line to their in-house player, I wouldn't be surprised if they do this to their Chamber, and Solo Strings, and some of their other popular Kontakt libraries. But, the question still remains, if they were going to port them to their Player, why did they bother with updating the Kontakt versions ?

If we’re still assuming SSO, then it’ll be more than just “SSO in a new player.”

I think it’s bigger than that.
New price points, new market segmentation. Even new remixed products. The OG Kontakt version essentially becomes a different product at this point, thereby meriting updates?

SF have already shown a taste for repackaging the SSO. See Staffpad etc

That's a big possibility, and since they seem to be releasing most of their new libraries in their Player, they might just had the time to port the Symphonic Line to their in-house player, I wouldn't be surprised if they do this to their Chamber, and Solo Strings, and some of their other popular Kontakt libraries. But, the question still remains, if they were going to port them to their Player, why did they bother with updating the Kontakt versions ?
To cut off the dangling outstanding fixes for current Kontakt users.

If we’re still assuming SSO, then it’ll be more than just “SSO in a new player.”

I think it’s bigger than that.
New price points, new market segmentation. Even new remixed products. The OG Kontakt version essentially becomes a different product at this point, thereby meriting updates?
Possibly, but it then becomes yet another product to support. I could however see new price points (at the least other mics will be available). Except they don't have a lot of terrain to work with with BBCSO Pro at $1000 and the new modular Abbey Road library at say maybe $3000. I could see some additional content added beyond the mics. The clarinets, oboes, and English horn in particular could really use some additional articulations to bring them more in line with the flutes, and additional legatos for various long articulations in the strings would also be most welcome.

Top Bottom