What's new

2022 Mac Pro

Yeah the next Mac Pro and big iMacs are most likely coming in 2022.

The trash can was released in 2013 and lasted 6 years, so closer to half a decade :)

There are many reasons for this though. Initially Apple thought they could expand on the cylindrical design but they got themselves into a thermal corner. Moore's law stalled so the only way to add more performance ended up adding more cores, which the trash can couldn't cool. Maybe that design would work with current AMD chips which are more efficient, but those didn't exist at the time.

And then, my theory is that Apple started working on the M1 chips and probably wanted to wait and just release an ARM Mac Pro. People got angry so Apple threw them a bone in the form of an iMac Pro which really wasn't enough for the Mac Pro tower segment. Who knows what happened then, maybe the development of the M1 took longer than Apple expected and they finally decided to release the 2019 Mac Pro to calm all the pros with pitchforks. This gave Apple a couple more years until the M1 Mac Pro.
Does the trash can have problems cooling the 12 core 2.7 GHz chip?

Does the trash can have problems cooling the 12 core 2.7 GHz chip?
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it throttled when also using GPU.

My previous comment was on updating the 2013 Mac Pro though, which Apple never did due to not being able to cool more powerful CPUs and GPUs of the time.

Top Bottom