What's new

“It Is What It Is”…and Other Irritating Phrases

Dude, relax.

It is what it is.

EDIT: Now, seriously. I've been saying this for years, it's basically a mantra. It means: C'est la vie. Que Sera, Sera. Things are what they are, it cannot be helped. Do not fight the unstoppable object, accept it, move aside, let it pass you by. Give it a wave.

It means quite a few things. But mostly, it means that you shouldn't freak out about the tide, it's a fact whether you worry about it or not. Relax. No use giving yourself a stroke. Etc.

Last edited:
For a number of years when I was in London, the expression "what it is, is..." was quite popular. Sounded awkward to me. Also the joined up "yeah, no" which appears to have dropped out of use thankfully.
I remember those. Yeah, they were quite common…

“Back in the day” <- another one! Lol

Circle back
Deep dive
Touch base
Unpack
Creators, creatives
Content
Productivity
Influencers
Tastemakers
Out of curiosity
To be honest
At the end of the day
Back in the day
General consensus
A whole 'nother
Times are tough, these trying times etc.
Wifey, The Wife etc.
Fire, as an adjective
Lit
Here for it

Last edited:
Dude, relax.

It is what it is.

EDIT: Now, seriously. I've been saying this for years, it's basically a mantra. It means: C'est la vie. Que Sera, Sera. Things are what they are, it cannot be helped. Do not fight the unstoppable object, accept it, move aside, let it pass you by. Give it a wave.

It means quite a few things. But mostly, it means that you shouldn't freak out about the tide, it's a fact whether you worry about it or not. Relax. No use giving yourself a stroke. Etc.
When I implied I didn’t know what it meant, I do understand really. The point is it’s being used too often now. It’s infectious. I caught myself using it once or twice, then became conscious of its widespread usage and thought I was going mad. Similar to how teenagers overuse the word “like”, or inflect every phrase upwards in tone as if it’s a question.

The notion that one should accept things as they are if they’re beyond one’s power to change them is noble (as long as it doesn’t mean not trying if something is difficult). But this gets lost when it is uttered so frequently with mundane usage.

Ah well, it is what it is.

Circle back
Deep dive
Touch base
Unpack
Creators, creatives
Content
Productivity
Influencers
Tastemakers
Out of curiosity
To be honest
At the end of the day
Back in the day
Times are tough, these trying times etc.
Wifey, The Wife etc.
Reading through your list i realised once more that these stereotypical keywords/phrases can be immensely powerful, if used in the right context and the right connotation.
And they can be terribly superficial and wrong in the wrong context.

So, I'll circle back and deep dive bevor i unpack some more thoughts about this.
Since, to be honest, times are tough at the end of the day and after all I'm not only no influencer but I also don't want to be one.

Top Bottom