What's new

Help needed: Mixing Adventure Strings with Caspian Brass?

rlundv

I just bought AS (after reading this thread among others (thanks @NoamL!)), and love them so far! Also I got Caspian a while back, and want to build a really efficient and easy template with maximum playability and less fidgeting to focus on composing.

As a beginner, I don't have huge demands soundwise, as long as internal balance and dynamics are good enough. I'm using Cubase 9.5 pro and have a decent rig (i7, 1TB SSD's, 64gb RAM).

AS is very dry (close) and does not provide mic-settings.
Webpage says: traditional seatings, recorded on a scoring stage.

Caspian Brass is recorded in an ambient hall with close, decca, and wide mic positions.
Capellen Orchestra https://www.capellen.cz/docs/CMP_LRH.pdf (webpage)says: Scoring Stage Floor Area: 390sqm, Reverberation Time: 1.72 sec.
(Not sure if Caspian is recorded in this exact hall though..?)

How would you guys go about to make them sound like they are in the same room?
  • Would it be best for me to use the driest sound possible from both libraries and then build a viritual room with EQ and reverb?
  • Or should I try to make the dry strings match soundwise with the already built in roomsound from Caspians tree- and far-mics using IR's and EQ, and let the Caspian-samples dictate the overall sound and size of the hall?
@Blakus did something similar in this video, blending AS with CB, SE + (sounds really good!), but not sure how he blended them together:

The Caspian-demos also sound really nice when it comes to blend and balance of strings and brass. Will AS+Caspian be able to sound somewhat similar?

Hope someone out there has some good advice to point me in the right direction :)

Cheers!

Post two stems that you would like to blend, one from AS and one from Caspian, I'll give it a try and tell you what I did.

I think I'll try to match the hall of Caspian with Adventure Strings, simply because Caspian doesn't have other dry mics (it's much easier to wet-match than dry-match), but I'll see once you post the stems.

Post two stems that you would like to blend, one from AS and one from Caspian, I'll give it a try and tell you what I did.

I think I'll try to match the hall of Caspian with Adventure Strings, simply because Caspian doesn't have other dry mics (it's much easier to wet-match than dry-match), but I'll see once you post the stems.

Oh, thank you! That is really kind :) Will make something right away!

Top Bottom