What's new

Orchestral suite (exercise)

Christof

Recently I started to do some daily exercises to improve my craft, this time I was heavily inspired by an 80 years old over the top composer....

I didn't have much time for mixing and mastering.
https://music4motion.org/orchestral%20suite%20no1.mp3

I have to add that it is interesting that this old master ripped off from Dvorak, Tchaikowsky, Korngold, Mahler or Stravinsky, now we rip off from him ;)

I'd say that's a pretty spot-on exercise!:) JW would be proud...
I am floored by your talent Christof. You are an inspiration to those of us clawing our way up the ladder. I am pleased you are on this forum. I think I can learn a thing or two listening to your works.
Cheers and bravo!
Stephen

what did you use?, could you tell us something about yours steps? did you work in the traditional way or directly on the sequencer? I ask it because of the wood runs, is a big work to write it on a papper.

You just made 2 minutes of intricate music sound like 5, well done.

Which library for the winds/bells?

That is really a very nice composition, compliments! You have a lot of beautiful and varied ideas in it and it has a fantastic flow and vividness. It's also performed very well. My only criticism would be that you use too many shifted root position chords in the harmonization, at least for my classical taste... in my opinion it would be even more beautiful if it was more sophisticated in that regard.

Great work!

Thanks for your compliments!

I wrote it directly into Logic, this is my usual approach, afterwards I notate the score in Sibelius.

For the woodwind runs I used Cinesamples Hollywood winds (prerecorded runs) this works perfectly for a quick draft like this, the other woodwinds are all VSL.
Strings are Hollywood Strings, the string runs are OSR.
The pizzicato string section in the middle is Spitfire Albion, they have this excellent human touch.
Brass is Cinebrass Pro, in my opinion the best sounding brass library I know, so much fun to play with it.
Harp, Celesta, Bells and percussion are VSL.

thanks for the info, I've also listened more music from your web site, congrats!, you write beautiful music! do you have a soundcloud account?

Fantastic bit of homage. I wasn't that impressed by the Potter reference, but rather by the structure of the whole, and the great lines of the lower strings. And the sound ... I don't know why you excuse yourself for having had little time for mastering and mixing. Wish I could get that in such a short time!

I have to add that this is not really a daily exercise, I did each part on one day and put them together at the end, so it took me almost two days, which is quite long for just two and a half minutes of music.

I have to add that this is not really a daily exercise, I did each part on one day and put them together at the end, so it took me almost two days, which is quite long for just two and a half minutes of music.

Two days only? Good craftmanship Christof! Very well done, nice piece, congrats man!

Top Bottom